Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Current Projects


This is my first journey into knitting socks. For this initial project, I chose a vintage sock knitting pattern. This pattern was published by the Red Cross during World War II, and was used in a support campaign for people at home to knit clothing articles for the servicemen and women who were at battle overseas. I modernized it by using a self striping yarn. I am a tight knitter so the needles I am using are US #5 double pointed, these gave me the correct gauge that was given in the pattern. The pattern is included here: http://www.redcross.org/museum/pdfs/knitting_socks.pdf

I am using Austermann Step color # 05 self striping sock yarn.


Also, for more information about the Red Cross During World War II check out the American Red Cross Museum http://www.redcross.org/museum/exhibits/knits.asp . There are also more knitting patterns provided for sweaters, hats, mufflers and gloves for the servicemen overseas. There are no photos provided with the patterns, so there is an element of surprise on how the finished garment will look. I want to do the Navy Sweater next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you a reenactor for WWII? The socks look great so far! My mom is recently into Civil War reenactment, and she's always looking for patterns from that period from which to knit and sew.

Adrian Crockford said...

I am not a reenactor. But I am fascinated by World War II. I visited Pearl Harbor last August and was really intrigued. I am also fascinated by that era. I have many great uncles who fought in this war (most came back). Coincidentaly, yesterday I was at the geneology department at the library looking for a newspaper article that was published during the war about my grandmother (who died before I was born). She had 5 brothers who were in the war, and the newspaper did a story on her. My aunt told me about this in March, and I haven't had the time to get to the library. I didn't have luck, as I need to get the time narrowed down closer in order to find the article on microfilm.